I've been promising an update on Ella's tummy situation, so here it is.
She's been seeing a pediatric GI specialist the past couple of months for monitoring, and he has been wonderful. He ran a few more tests on her for some other diseases and syndromes, all coming back negative.
If I have understood everything correctly (which in my crazy state of mind dealing with all of this I could be completely wrong), basically here's what they think probably happened. She had the tummy bug, which created some of the tissues in her colon to become inflamed. This can sometimes cause idiopathic (spontaneous) intussusception where the small intestines telescope thru to the large intestines. Since our last stay in the hospital, the surgeon and GI doctors have been monitoring her, and everything seems to be completely fine and normal again!
She's been taking a pro biotic for the past month, which is supposed to help regulate the good bacteria with the bad bacteria in her tummy. Supposedly these pro biotics can do wonders for children with colic and stomach problems, and they better b/c they are not cheap. Since all of this madness, Ella has been doing great with trying finger foods (some days; some days she just spits it back out in our face), and has just transitioned to whole milk no problem. Last week the GI doctor released Ella from his care, and said we only have to come back as needed. She finally weighs 20 pounds, which is almost 4 more pounds than when she was released from the hospital in February.
So, there's the update. I still get nervous and anxious when she starts crying because she is always such a happy baby, and when she's upset I know something is wrong. But for now...I think its that huge molar I see popping thru her gums in the back....that makes 9 teeth!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment